Chanakyaniti – Rules to live by – Chapter 7
Chanakyaniti is rules to live by. Chanakya niti outline the guideline about how to behave in different scenarios.
* discretion is advised
- If you are facing loss in business or your heart is broken then don’t share such information with others. Also, one must not discuss scandals of family and incidents of insult. (People might try to exploit your weaknesses. Beware!.)
- You should be shameless when it comes about learning something, dealing in business, and having food.
- You are happy only when your mind is at peace; running after wealth is simply an act of foolishness.
- One must be satisfied with whatever he has as wife, wealth, and income. Still! one must never get satisfied with the knowledge and acts of charity.
- Like it is not safe to put yourself between a plough & oxen. Similarly, one must never get in-between two scholars, fire, husband & wife, and master & servant.
- Never touch fire, teacher, virgin, baby, and cow with your feet or else you will face quick destruction.
- It is considered safe to be five arms away from a bullock cart, ten arms away from a horse, thousand arms from an elephant. Anyhow, there is no safe distance in whole country when it’s about avoiding a wicked person.
- You require a goad to tame an elephant, a whip to train a horse, and a stick to control your cattle. In similar manner a wicked person cannot be controlled with mere words. (Sword)
- A Brahman becomes happy after viewing tasty food, a peacock on listening rumble of clouds. Also, a person with good soul becomes happy with happiness of others, while an evil person gains happiness from misfortunes of others.
- One can appease a stronger enemy and can throw an order to a weaker one. Anyhow, when both of you are equal in strength; act wisely.
- The power of a king lies in his sword, the power of a scholar lies in his knowledge, and that of a woman lies in her beauty.
- Swans live in lakes with blue water and leave it when the lake starts drying. Men must not change their residence so often.
- Money earned must be kept circulating and put to some good use. Just like the water of a pond having inflow and outflow system is clean. On the other hand Water-logged ponds collect dirt in them.
- Money plays a very significant role in human life. On having money the person is given respect, considered wise, and is preferred by women.
- Men having faith in God, who do charities, serve brahmans, and possess polite nature enjoy heavenly pleasure in real world.
- Men having no command on their tone, who are in company of wicked persons, and who live in poverty experience hell even being alive.
- A tail of a dog cannot protect its shame nor offers any effective protection against ticks and flies. So is the condition of a man with little knowledge.
- A person with polite tone, pure-heart, compassion, and self disciplined nature is one who qualifies for Nirvana.